You’ve got to get down to Fort Whyte Alive this summer to hang out with the bisons! Here are 7 things I learned at the Fort Whyte Alive Bison Safari.
- Bison can jump up to 6 feet into the air and spin 180˚ while doing it!
- Since the fence that contains the bison is shorter then 6 feet, it’s basically just a suggestion. While it hasn’t happened yet, the bison could theoretically jump over it.
- Bison don’t actually stink like you would think that they do, I know surprising.
- The bison have learned to use “bug spray for animals” there’s is a hanging rag that is covered in it and they have figured out that when they walk under the rag the bugs leave them alone.
- A bison’s winter coat doesn’t shed off by itself, they have to rub up against a giant rock to get it off.
- Bison can run up to 55 kilometers per hour, wowza!
- Bison only eat the strongest thriving plants giving the smaller ones a chance to survive keeping the ecosystem thriving.
You should come out on a safari and see the bison up close and personal for yourself, they get so close to the bus that you can almost touch them (but you know, rules).
It was really cool to see such a majestic and interesting animal not behind glass like in a zoo but roaming free and having fun in its natural habitat.