The Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival is back! But, before you attend a show, here are five things you should know.
Actually, here are five things you need to know.
1. It is the 28th annual Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival. Yes, 28! That means people have been Fringing in the ‘Peg for over a quarter of a century. Pretty cool, huh?
2. So you know how you just assumed that the word Fringe in Fringe Fest had something to do with 20s flapper dresses and loose tassels and dangly twists? (I hope you did – I don’t want to be the only one.) Well, you were wrong (or, I was). Fringe is actually a theatre term that means “not part of the mainstream” or “unconventional,” because when the Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival began, it was on the fringe of the theatre community due to the experimental plays that made up the festival.
3. There are FREE (yes, free!) shows from noon to midnight every day of the festival in Old Market Square. You can see street performers, live bands, stunt artists, and much more. Head over to winnipegfringe.com for the complete schedule of outdoor performances. While the shows are free, there will be Fringe volunteers “passing the hat” so you can drop in some change for the hardworking performers.
4. They’ve created a handy app for all of us techies. Up-to-date show listings, outdoor stage performances, and schedule changes all on your phone! If you’re one of those I-hate-technology-what-happened-to-paper people, then you can invest $3 to buy a collectible program from MTC, McNally Robinson Booksellers, and selected Liquor Mart stores.
5. The Fringe Festival is an irreplaceable aspect of Winnipeg’s culture, with it growing to be the second largest festival of its kind in North America. In 2014, the #WpgFringe shows put approximately 104,000 fringe-goers in seats, and we can only expect more this year, considering the high class-performers from around the world we are lucky enough to host. Whether you love improv, comedies, musicals, or the ol’ standard play, there is most definitely something for everyone and GOOTB will keep you updated every step of the way. Can’t wait to watch all of you get your Fringe on!